Friday, June 6, 2008

McCloud-Part two

For the second part of the blog, I looked closely at Lauren's comic The Accidental Dentist. This comic was completely different from the one that I chose. This comic was about three gentlemen and the "accidents" that happen to them. When examining their names further we see the one gentlemen is G.W.B and is spoofing the presidents and the "mistakes or accidents" that some feel he has done in his presidency.

The first difference from my comic is the images itself. The Accidental Dentist uses a tremendous amount of detail. The faces are very detailed and G.W.B is very obvious. But to me, other than G.W.B, that detail takes away from my interpretation of the other gentlemen. As McCloud states sometimes it is better to have a more "cartoon face" because "the more people it could be said to describe" (31).

Another difference is the use of color in the last frame. As McCloud describes the differences of colors in his book he states that "flat color forms themselves take on more significance" (192). I think that this is applied to the last frames of this comic because it is taking on more emphasis in relation to the rest of the comic.

If anything the differences between these two simple comics authored by the same person fuller emphasises McCloud's point on comics, "the world of comics is a huge and varied one" (4). For me although I did not particularly like The Accidental Dentist, not only did I not agree with the concept of the comic, it was just to busy and everything that turns me off when reading comics. Comic reading is not specific to one person but encompasses a wide variety of audiences.

No comments: