Saturday, May 17, 2008

Strunk and White


After reading the book The Elements of Style, I felt like I had read this before.  I believe throughout the two Linguistics classes that I have taken, most of the articles and readings stem from this book.  It was all familiar to me in some sense or another.

The two rules that I benefited the most from is Rule 13: Omit needless words, and Rule 9: Make the Paragraph the unit of composition.  I believe that Rule 13 applies to a lot of people, especially those who are untrained writers.  I can relate to Strunk's statement :
    A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary
sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines,
and no machine no unnecessary parts.

At times I tend to put in extra words that really are not needed to get the same point across.  Many folks, I believe, think that by putting in those extra words spice up their writings and make it more powerful.  Contrary to that belief those extra words can hold up a sentence and perhaps turn off the reader by not allowing them to relate to the sentence because of those extra words.  
In my case Rule 9 is very poignant because I have a terrible time constructing paragraphs.  Most of the time I ramble on about things that don't belong in that particular paragraph.  I don't make the original thesis statement of the paragraph and stick with that particular subject throughout the paragraph.

The rule in which I benefited least from was Rule 11: Put statements in a positive form.  This was just boring to me.  At times I thought the sentences used for examples were best left how they were.  I am not sure I 100 percent disagree with this rule, but I tend to think that how we write is how we would say things.  And by changing those words and putting them into a positive form may change the entire meaning itself.

No comments: