Thursday, May 22, 2008

What other's think?

It was interesting reading other's view's on Strunk and White and Williams.  So many different opinions were given.  It shows that every person's take on style and understanding style is different to some degree.   It's interesting to me that Kristen felt as it was "difficult to find new ideas from my classmates’ blogs because I found that many of us had the same ideas and comments when it came to William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White’s The Element of Style and Joseph M. Williams’ Style: Toward Clarity and Grace.".  While I agree to a point, I think I learned at least a little from each thought even if it we mostly agree about the ideas in the book.  

Overall I agree with most students in the class and have mixed feelings about the readings.  As Lauren states, I feel the section on "Words and Expressions commonly misused" was very outdated.  The way I took it was a reminder in which the ways in which we write can be a turn off because we simply misuse the words we use.  

I think that most of us agree S&W reading is a quicker reference to use.  Yeah it's great for students to have a great reference  and for us to quickly find it on the shelf.  But as Beth makes a great point, the intention for us reading it is to make us better writers.  For as we teach our students we will pass down the information we learned from these books and teach directly out of them.

No comments: